Fitness Blog IconInstagram-Logo-1indexj]blog-lovin-icon_zpsbf482c6a

Features

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Help

For Father's Day on Sunday I went to the movies with my parents and my sister and saw'The Help.' I didn't expect that I would like the movie since I didn't know much about the storyline and it wasn't the girly romantic comedy style of movie that I usually watch. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The Help was an absolutely fantastic movie and definitely one of the best films that I have ever seen.

In case you are unaware of The Help, here is the synopsis from the official website:

Based on one of the most talked about books in years and a #1 New York Times best-selling phenomenon, “The Help” stars Emma Stone (“Easy A”) as Skeeter, Academy Award®–nominated Viola Davis (“Doubt”) as Aibileen and Octavia Spencer as Minny—three very different, extraordinary women in Mississippi during the 1960s, who build an unlikely friendship around a secret writing project that breaks societal rules and puts them all at risk. From their improbable alliance a remarkable sisterhood emerges, instilling all of them with the courage to transcend the lines that define them, and the realization that sometimes those lines are made to be crossed —even if it means bringing everyone in town face-to-face with the changing times.Deeply moving, filled with poignancy, humor and hope, “The Help” is a timeless and universal story about the ability to create change.

The fashion was absolutely stunning with some of the most perfect dresses I have ever seen. The pretty floral patterns, the bold colours, red lips, pearls, perfectly curled hair, embellished cardigans and even a sweet playsuit- it was my style and I just wish society would dress like that now. I love the effort that people made to dress up back in the 1950s/60s. The fashion alone was so gorgeous to admire for the duration of the film.

Also, I was deeply impacted by the storyline of the movie. The virtues of bravery, courage, ambition, desire for change, kindness and many more that were displayed throughout the film were inspirational and made me feel strong emotions. The injustices of society were so incredibly sad and I cried so much during and after the movie. I think that any movie which makes me feel such strong emotions and connections is well made and is an excellent film. I definitely recommend The Help.


12

01

09

05

06

10

02

08

What did you think about The Help?

29 comments:

Audrey Allure said...

I heard it was a great movie - but I want to read the book before I see it! :)

Anonymous said...

loved the book. i highly recommend it!

i do agree w/ you that fashion was so much more elegant back then!

daisychain said...

I really need to read the book, it has been sat on my shelf for a shamefully long time now!

Jennifer Fabulous said...

I loved this movie!!! Best film of the year, hands down. :) I'm so pleased you liked it as well. I knew you would love the fashion. It is very elegant and pretty, just like your style!

Name said...

i really wanted to go see this movie but ive been so busy! it looks fantastic! and viola davis is an incredible actress. I saw her on broadway in Fences. She was just mind blowing. thank you for your comment! im thinking about studying political science and maybe go onto law school later but i have 2 years before i have to declare a major so we'll see what happens.

Sherin said...

I read the book a few months ago and loved it. It's an amazing story! I can't wait to see the film now.

Sara said...

I have not seen it yet, but I really, really want to! This looks so good :)

Bonnie said...

I'm not all that interested in it, but Mr. A keeps talking about seeing it. He is super interested in watching this movie, for some reason. I never would have guessed! After reading your synopsis, it sounds pretty good.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

these screenshots are are lovely. I cannot wait to see this movie! I have wanted to see it from the moment I first saw the trailer.

Amber
Ambersmoutwhash

Angel Garcia said...

I have been really wanting to see this movie! I hope it is a good as everyone says it is..

Hugs! ~Angel

themajessty said...

I haven't watched it yet, but I've heard quite a bit about it. And those dresses ARE lovely. I love the colors.

You are an adorable young lady, by the way. (:

Selvaggia Capizzi said...

I am definitely going to see is movie! I like the plot! Thanks for sharing!
Xx
http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com/

Josie said...

I want to see this so badly -- glad you enjoyed it!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Unknown said...

I adore Emma Stone and I've been looking forward to this movie. Good to know you enjoyed it. And yes, I bet the clothes and hair were amazing!

Green Tea and Cupcakes said...

I cant wait to see it the preview looks brilliant.

Rosie Savage said...

I definitely want to give this a watch!

Rosie x

Couture Carrie said...

Can't wait to see this one!

xoxox,
CC

Cafe Fashionista said...

I am hoping to read the book before seeing the film - it sounds incredible. :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I'm reading this book NEXT and cannot wait. I'm excited for the movie too!

Belle Armed said...

havent seen it, but you just made me want to!

<3

www.janetteria.com said...

I have not seen it yet, but I am curious!

Georgie said...

This film looks really interesting, I'd love to see it! Emma Stone is an amazing actress, I loved her in Easy A. xx

Chrisy said...

Haven't seen it yet but want to...especially now after reading your review...

Helen said...

I'm glad it's good! I really want to see it

StarletStarlet said...

I actually was going to save it for when it comes out on netflix! Now I cannot wait for those seemingly beautiful pictures and dresses!

Once Upon A Time... said...

i've heard a lot about this movie, i really need to watch it!

jos xx

Andreia said...

Interesting post, I'll have to watch the movie!!

makingfashionnotwar.blogspot.com

jess said...

My mom and I have been meaning to see this movie.

sorelle in style said...

I still haven't seen the film! I've heard so many good things - and now that I hear the fashion is worth peeking at, I just might have to go see it tonight! ;)

Hope you have a great weekend! :)

-j
sorelle in style